- Subsidy Program
What is the Higo Water and Greenery Protection Award?
In 1987, Higo Bank began to advocate the idea that groundwater is a precious resource for the region of our births, and we must protect it from becoming depleted or polluted. The bank teamed up with the Kumamoto Prefectural Government and the Kumamoto Nichinichi Newspaper Co. to establish the Higo Water Resource Protection Award (now called the Higo Water and Greenery Protection Award).
The award honors groups and individuals who are engaged in water resource conservation activities, and since its inception has been awarded to 334 groups and 16 individuals.
This recognition has continued under the auspices of the Higo Water Resource Protection Fund Charitable Foundation, which was founded in 1992, and the funds of which have been used for a wide variety of activities, such as hosting symposiums, water saving tools exhibition, planting watershed protection forests, and so on.
As the need to address environmental problems has increased, these water conservation initiatives were expanded to also focus on green planting activities, and in September 2008, the fund changed its name to the Higo Water and Greenery Protection Fund Foundation and again in November 2010 to The Foundation for the Preservation of Green and Water Resources of Higo.
Throughout its history, this charitable foundation has focused on its award-granting program, while also engaging in spreading awareness via symposiums, newspaper articles, and television programs, and assisting volunteer organizations with various environmental activities such as tree planting for watershed protection forests, flooding rice paddies, and so on.
We are always seeking new potential candidates for the Higo Water and Greenery Protection Award
|Eligible Parties||Municipalities within the prefecture (excluding the prefectural government itself), organizations, foundations, volunteer groups, schools, companies, individuals, etc., who have been consistently and actively engaged in the following types of activities:
1. Recharge, preservation, and conservation of water resources.
- Companies who use permeable pavement in their parking lots, or leaching ponds and wells to capture the rainwater that falls on company buildings.
- Offices & factories that implement re-cycled use of the water during industrial processes, wastewater purification systems, etc.
- The gathering of rainwater for use in car washes, or for rinsing toilet facilities at offices, schools, etc.
- Groups and individuals who proactively flood rice paddies.
2. Water pollution prevention activities
- Neighborhood associations and individuals who work to improve local rivers, thus boosting the firefly population.
- Groups and individuals who work to prevent the pollution of rivers and water resources through cleaning and other activities.
- Groups and individuals who contribute `agriculture for promoting the better groundwater and soil' activities.
3. Greening promotion
- Companies and groups engaged in tree planting, forest conservation management (undergrowth mowing, pruning, thinning, preventing injuries to wildlife, etc.), greening of surfaces such as walls and roofs, and other activities.
- Groups and individuals devoted to grassland restoration, etc.
|Selection||We gather information from every corner of the prefecture, and form a review committee to select the finest groups and individuals from among various candidates.|
|Announcement||Winners are announced in early September in the pages of the Kumamoto Nichinichi Newspaper.|
|Timing of the Commendation||Mid-October|
|Awards||Winners receive an honorary certificate, the award payment, and a plaque.|
|How to Apply||Application Period
Downloadthe application form (Word file, 30 Kb), Fill out the form, and email it to email@example.com Send any inquiries to:
Higo Shoji Bldg. 3F, 1-23 Koyaimamachi, Chuo Ward, Kumamoto City
The Foundation for the Preservation of Green and Water Resources of Higo Office